Here are some of the books I think should be taught in schools and some of the themes they explore which made me pick them.
1. The Chronicles of Narnia: Faith/Hope/Good vs Evil/Responsibility
2. His Dark Materials: Questioning Religion/Introduces Fantasy in a ‘Real’ Way/Physics/Loyalty/Love
3. Speak: Sexual Abuse/Bullying/Everyone Has a Voice that Deserves to be Heard/Overcoming the Impossible
4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time: Autism/Humanity/Understanding Emotion
5. Peter Pan: Imagination/Independence/Love/Family Values
6. Will Grayson Will Grayson: LGBT/Acceptance/Friendship
7. Mudbound: Prejudice/Racism/Social Justice/Love
8. Stormbreaker: Makes boys want to read – that is reason enough!
9. Look into my Eyes: Girls Can be Spies Too – that is reason enough!
10. Noughts and Crosses: Prejudice & Racism in an Alternative Society/Dystopian Elements/Star-Crossed Lovers
Also, how about we read The Book Thief instead of Anne Franks’ Diary…no???