I have gone for books that I would recommend to reluctant readers and split them into boys and girls and narrowed it down to the 8 – 14 age bracket. Not that I think these books are limited to those demographics.. of course!
Why don’t more boys read? Especially teenagers….is it just not cool? There are some great books aimed at boys though, of all ages.
- Stormbreaker – Anthony Horowitz
- The Gates by John Connolly
- The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
- Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
- The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan
When I was younger I was encouraged to read books like Little Women and Pride & Prejudice, and I’m not dissing them (I am a bit) but they’re not the most exciting are they. If I’d discovered books like these earlier, I think I would have been a prolific reader from an earlier age.
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares
- Look into my Eyes (Ruby Redfort) by Lauren Child
- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
- Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Feel free leave a link to your TTT post and I’ll check them out!