Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish (Click the image to visit them). This week the theme is Top Ten Worlds you wouldn’t like to live in, OR Top Ten Characters you’d never want to trade places with.
I went with the characters that I wouldn’t want to trade places with….and it was so much more fun than I thought it was going to be!
- Katniss in The Hunger Games Trilogy: (haha PEENISS) I’m not even talking about the being thrust into an arena where everyone is trying to kill you. I’m not even talking about having to kill innocent people, and/or watching them die, or having the weight of the world on your shoulders in a rebellion that you didn’t mean to start. I am of course, talking about the fact that she has to leave Hot Gale and put up with Peeta (ugh Peeta) for three whole books. AND PEETA RUINS EVERYTHING. That my friends is why I wouldn’t want to trade places with Katniss. (Actually I really would, but obviously I would have just run away with Gale in the first place and save everyone a lot of heartache!)
- Todd (& Viola) in the Chaos Walking Trilogy: I’m only 3/4 of the way through The Ask and the Answer so no spoilers please! But, I mean seriously, these poor kids. What a shitty world to be in. First, the whole hearing everyone’s thoughts thing must drive you insane, and then to be told that everything you thought you knew was a lie and the knowing the truth means you can never go back, and being involved in a war that you don’t agree with and being split up from the only person you have left…oh it just goes on and on.
- Aspen in The Selection: Yes he’s a douche for breaking up with America in the first place but then having to watch her being schmoooozed by someone hotter and with far more prospects than him must be tough, and having to work for him. Gutted.
- Jamie/JJ in The Pilo Family Circus: I can think of nothing worse than being dragged into a parallel universe by three psychotic clowns and forced to become one yourself. Not only that but Jamie’s clown alter-ego JJ decides that Jamie needs to die. Ahhhh, get me out!!
- The Mum in Room: It’s bad enough being in the mind of 4 year Jack whose existence in ‘the room’ is all he has ever known. But his mum knows otherwise. She knows that there is a world outside. She knows that she and Jack are captives and that their captor keeps them in a room of depravity and she knows exactly what he wants every time he unbolts that door. Thankfully, I can only imagine!
- Melanie in The Host: Can you imagine your body being taken over by another soul that is trying to push you out? Taking control of you, touching your hot boyfriend and then making out with some guy you don’t even like – who – by the way is clearly nowhere near as hot as angry bf? Err no thanks. Threesomes never end well (so I’m told 😉 ), not even when there’s only two bodies involved. CONFUSING.
- Anyone in The Uglies Series ever: Horrible, horrible world where looks mean so much that you have to have surgery aged 16 so people aren’t disgusted by you. What the hell!?
- Richard Neville in I am Legend: I’m a vampire fan but even I wouldn’t like the be the last human alive surrounded by these vamps. Sometimes he hunts them but usually he just barricades himself in and waits for daylight. How dull. And, he resorts to begging a dog to be his friend. Bad times.
- Iseult from Tristan & Iseult: Or more generally just being born into a world where women are second class citizens who have no free will. Being forced to marry some old, fat, violent man for money or the good of everyone else…I don’t think so.
- Christine in Before I go to Sleep: This is totally one of my worse nightmares – forgetting absolutely everything you know, including who you are and who your friends/family are every single time you go to sleep! Over and over and over again. All the work you put in each day just so you can have an hour or so of feeling safe to forget it all again. Ugh.
What would make your list? Feel free to leave a link if you posted one.