Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish (click the link to visit them) who pick a different topic each week.
This week the topic is: Ten Bookish Things I Want to Quit Or Have Quit (aka ten book series I think I’m going to abandon, ten bookish habits I want to quit, ten authors I quit reading, ten types of books I’m quitting, ten tropes I want to stop reading about, ten books I marked as DNF (did not finish) recently, etc.
Hmm bit of a strange topic this week, I thought. But, as I’m in the midst of Horror October, I’m going for 10 things I’m bored of in the Horror genre.
1. Zombies: Just enough already!
2. Werewolves: I don’t have anything against werewolves, but I hate that they always appear in Vampire books. I like my vampire books to be about vampires, not werewolves…OK!?
3. Zombies masquerading as a virus: From The Girl with all the Gifts to The Scorch Trials…why does this keep happening!
4. Unsatisfying endings: I’m mainly thinking of Stephen King here. Horror has the tendency to go over the top at the end in order to shock readers one last time, but mostly it doesn’t work and just ruins the book.
5. The token creepy old guy: These characters are NEVER the killers and are out there to throw you off. But after seeing one, you’ve seen them all and they just became an annoying cliché.
6. Messing about with classics: I’m thinking of Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies and that trend of books. Just no.
7. Evil Faeries: I find it quite hard to accept that faeries are scary, and have read very few books which do that well.
8. Friendly, Fuzzy Vampires: NO! I’m sure I don’t need to explain.
That’s it, I’m done. I’m sure there’s loads more but I need to go and brush my horns and polish my fangs….