This is a weird one for me. At first I completely drew a blank. Do Character names really have much impact on me? And then I realised how easily bad character names annoy me, (I could do a great Top Ten bad Character Names!) so I realised that they must mean something!
Here’s what I came up with.
- Tristran Thorn, Stardust: Tristan is my all time favourite name which stems from Tristan & Iseult and also The Patrick Wolf song. Although officially Gaiman’s character is called Tristran, I still say Tristan in my head. Either way, the name Tristran Thorn is perfect for that character. Perfect!
- Abra Stone, Doctor Sleep: Abra was my favourite character in Doctor Sleep. It’s a strange name but it works. And I loved that her email address went Cadabra@…pretty cool.
- Celaena Sardothien, Throne of Glass: I think Celaena’s name is pretty much perfect. It sounds kick-ass and pretty at the same time. Exactly how a beautiful yet deadly assassin should sound.
- Katsa, Graceling: Same as above really, Katsa just suits her. It’s unique and ballsy.
- Lestat De Lioncourt, The Vampire Chronicles: Lestat? That is all.
- Barbie, Under the Dome: Dale Barbara is an Iraq vet turned short-order cook with a penchant for doing the right thing, even though he clearly has his secrets. I love that his nickname Barbie stuck, because it just doesn’t suit him at first, but somehow it’s perfect. It really warmed me to him.
- Stargirl, Stargirl: Stargirl is everything you would think a character called that would be. ‘From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, hallways hum “Stargirl.”’
- Ariel Manto, The End of Mr Y: Ariel is just one of those characters I always remember. It’s a simple name, but I like saying it.
- Princess Bitterblue, Bitterblue: Another one from The Graceling Trilogy, as far as princess names go, this one is pretty cool.
- Christian Grey, Fifty Shades of Grey: Whether you’re a fan of this or not, Christian Grey is now a household name. The mere mention of it sends ladies everywhere into a frenzy!