Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish (Click the image to visit them). This week the theme is Top Ten books you were ‘forced’ to read, whether it’s required reading or books that friends or family have encouraged you to read.
I was never big on required reading, and would usually just pretend that I’d read the books I was supposed to at school. Such a rebel, yeah. But I did read some of the ones I was supposed to, and here are my favourites. Followed by the books I read, or was read to as a child…no forcing necessary there; they are all awesome!
Top 5 Books I had to read to for school
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: I would love to read this again. It was very affecting.
- Hamlet: Probably my favourite Shakespeare play. I can still remember the first time I was introduced to Ophelia!
- Of Mice and Men: I haven’t read this for years. So heartbreaking!
- The Bloody Chamber: I’m not sure if I had to read this for college or Uni, but either way I’m glad I did.
- Enduring Love: This was one of the stand-out books I read for my Eng Lit class in college.
Top 5 Books from Childhood
- The Twits: This is the most memorable Dahl book for me. I still love it.
- Naughty Amelia Jane: I read A LOT of Enid Blyton when I was little. This series was my fave though, closely followed by The Faraway Tree books.
- Silly Verse for Kids: I did a Favourites Friday post on this here. Love love love. RIP Spike Milligan
- The Chronicles of Narnia: I actually saw the BBC adaptation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe before I read these books. Words cannot express how much I love this series. In all its forms.
- Green Eggs and Ham: I can remember loving this book so much, and thinking how gross green eggs sounded! I would love to read this again.